Our History

The origins of the club are believed to coincide with the sinking of the Albion Colliery in 1886, a site now used by Coed-y-Lan Comprehensive School.  Cilfynydd RFC became members of the WRU in 1902 however evidence unearthed by the authors of the WRU’s official history proves that rugby was played in Cilfynydd in 1893. The South Wales Daily News of the 18th December 1893 records Cilfynydd as playing Loudons, a Cardiff side at Sophia Gardens and losing by 1goal, 1 try and 3 minors to 3 minors.

After experiencing mixed fortunes in the early years the club finally enjoyed three unbeaten seasons, winning the Rhondda League in the process, prior to the outbreak of the World War I.  It was during this period that four Cilfynydd players featured in the Mid-District side that played the New Zealand All Blacks in 1935-36.  The period saw further success for the club with four Glamorgan League championships and four Glamorgan K.O. Cup wins.  The successful period heralded the emergence of the three Welsh Internationals produced by the club, and who the club is still proud of to this day: - Lorrie Issacs, Maldwyn James and Glyn Davies.

The season of 1954-55 saw the club win the Mid District Championship, a feat that was repeated in 1956-57 together with the Mid District Cup.  In 1966 the club witnessed its first major achievement with the opening of the Cilfynydd R.F.C. clubhouse, which at the time was the envy of many clubs in the surrounding area.  After a relatively quiet spell the club lost in the semi-final of the Glamorgan Silver Ball Competition in the season of 1973-74, this was repeated in the season of 1974-75.

The beginning of the ‘80’s saw the club return to its winning ways when the Mid-District Cup was won, together with the Drybrook R.F.C. Seven-a-side tournament in Gloucester.  The success then continued the following year when the Harlequins (Second XV) won the Tom Coleman Cup.

In 1983-84 the club enjoyed its best ever season, setting a record points total of 1033 for a season.  The club won the Glamorgan Silver Ball and Presidents Cup Competitions and finished runners-up in a total of six leading competitions.  The following season saw the Harlequins finish runners-up in the Coleman Cup with the first XV winning the Mid-District Cup and the Glamorgan Ushers Trophy for most tries. 

Cilfynydd R.F.C. went on to become members of the inaugural Heineken League and enjoyed good performances in the first two seasons of the competition.  The season of 1993 saw the club partake of a centenary tour of Canada, from which the club returned unbeaten.

Following centenary season the club has endured some very lean years, as like many other clubs in the area which was compounded by the club being relegated from the Heineken League in a play-off match to Whitland R.F.C.  After a couple of lean years, on and off the pitch, the club have welcomed back some of their former players who have benefited from playing their rugby at a higher level.  The club are now playing their rugby in Division 4 south-east of the National League after securing promotion from Division 5 in the 2004-05 season.

After some relatively quiet years the club enjoyed success in 2011-12 with promotion to Division 4 East. The following season (2012-13) saw the club promoted once again to Division 3 East, after another successful season which also saw them reach the semi-final of the WRU SWALEC Bowl competition.  Unfortunately, this success could not be continued and the club was relegated at the end of their first season in Division 3.  Following a furthering restructuring of the leagues by the WRU, the club will be playing in Division 3-East Central A for the 2015-16 season.